Wednesday, August 29, 2012

AACTA Announces 23 Feature Films in 2012 Competition

 

Today the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) has announced 23 Feature Films in Competition for the 2ndAACTA Awards.

Feature Film nominees will be announced later in 2012, and AACTA Award recipients will be announced at the 2nd AACTA Awards held in Sydney in early 2013.
The 23 Feature Films in Competition for the 2nd AACTA Awards are:
  • 33 Postcards
  • A Few Best Men
  • Any Questions For Ben?
  • Bait 3D
  • Burning Man
  • Careless Love
  • Dead Europe
  • Hail
  • Housos vs Authority
  • Iron Sky
  • Kath and Kimderella
  • Killer Elite
  • The King Is Dead!
  • Last Dance
  • Lore
  • Mental
  • Not Suitable For Children
  • Santa’s Apprentice
  • The Sapphires
  • Swerve
  • Toomelah
  • Wish You Were Here
  • X
A few of these features - Lore, Wish You Were Here and Burning Man - immediately jump out and deserve to feature prominently. Having said that, I am yet to see half of the list. Thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Well, I highly doubt Kath and Kimdrella will win anything, judging all the reviews coming out. Same goes for Mental. Wish You Were Here is my pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lore has pipped Wish You Were Here, as great as it was.

      Yeah, a few of these films (Mental, Killer Elite) are awful and have no chance.

      Delete
  2. I think Wish You Were Here is the clear stand out here. Avoided most of the list (The King is Dead! won't win anything, neither will Mental or Kath and Kimderella.) Sapphires a decent chance? (I haven't got around to seeing it yet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed The Sapphires, but amongst the catchy songs and the top performances (esp. O'Dowd) there's a lot that was underwhelming. Budget constraints are likely responsible. It will be one of the top box office earners here, and one of the year's best releases, but I prefer others. There are some yet to have a release, some I missed because of their limited release, and some I consciously avoided.

      Delete
  3. Burning Man, Toomelah and X are the best of the bunch for me. A lot of very poor and some downright awful movies on that list. Am keen to see Lore though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, check out LORE. Very very good. I have not seen Toomelah or X. A few that eluded me earlier in the year.

      Delete