Sunday, January 29, 2012

Awards Watch: 'The Artist' and 'Project Nim' Winners at DGA


Just when it seemed like Hugo was bridging the gap with its eleven Academy Award nominations, Michael Hazanavicius has taken out the award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement for The Artist at the Director's Guild of America Awards. Hazanavicius is now favourite to back up this win with a Best Director Oscar - and with The Artist also taking top honours at the Producer's Guild of America Awards it is now the clear-cut favourite. James Marsh also won Best Directorial Achievement in a Documentary for the wonderful Project Nim.

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures

Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist *WINNER*
David Fincher - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Alexander Payne - The Descendants
Martin Scorsese - Hugo
Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentary

Richard Press - Bill Cunningham New York
Martin Scorsese - George Harrison: Living in a Material World
Steve James - The Interrupters
James Marsh - Project Nim *WINNER*
Joe Berlinger, Bruce Sinofsky - Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

Will Hazanavicius win the Oscar for The Artist or will Martin Scorsese, Alexander Payne or Terrence Malick cause what must now be considered an upset?

4 comments:

  1. I hope Terry creates an upset and everyone must bow down to the Master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see it - but I just don't think it will happen.

      Delete
  2. Well I guess it wasn't much of a race for Best Picture... The Oscars are going to be so predictable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are - but I really hope I love THE ARTIST. I'm seeing it tonight. Dujardin won the SAG today, which could extend it's sweep - but makes things interesting in the Best Actor race. It could be Clooney or Dujardin. I think Meryl is gone. Viola Davis will win for The Help, and though I haven't seen My Week With Marilyn - I think she deserves to take out the award. But, yes, THE ARTIST is the heavy fav. for Best Pic and Director.

      Delete