Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Releases 16/06


Released in Australian cinemas tomorrow are Bridesmaids and Little White Lies.  


Bridesmaids - Kristen Wiig leads the cast as Annie, a maid of honour whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colourful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Sitting at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes (come on!), it's been massively hyped, so don't go in with too high of expectations. I certainly didn't dig it. My review of Bridesmaids


Little White Lies - Pulled big, big numbers at the French Film Festival, but the responses have been mixed. Eight friends who are setting into middle age have for years observed an annual tradition where they get together to enjoy some vacation time. However, fate has put a damper on this year's gathering when one of the group, Ludo (Jean Dujardin), ends up in the hospital after an auto accident. His friends decide to go away together anyway, but Ludo's troubles portend a week of difficult feelings and awkward situations. 


Weekly Recommendation: Well I can't recommend Bridesmaids, though it has some moments (some exceedingly overlong moments actually), so I'm going with Little White Lies. OR you could catch something that isn't already sold out at the Sydney Film Festival. Senna on Sunday anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I loved Little White Lies when I saw it last year at the London Film Festival and was totally surprised to see that when it was released this year, the reaction was mixed.

    It's a wonderful, funny, and humble film that I definitely recommend to anyone. Yes, it may be a little too long, but it does justify it's length with being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it sold out every session it played at the French Film Fest. I assured myself I would see it 'if' it got a wide release. Then I was shocked to see it receive quite negative feedback. I am now reassured :-)

    ReplyDelete