Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Links (13/06)


This week has been pretty crazy, but admittedly that was the easiest part of my lineup. Battling crappy weather, public transport and epic lines I have made it to six SFF screenings (The Troll Hunter, The Guard, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Sleeping Beauty, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Even the Rain). I am yet to see an average film, though Sleeping Beauty was somewhat disappointing. The days to come are extremely busy, starting with three more films later today.

I also saw Super 8, which I dug. Really enjoyable Spielberg homage, with some really great child performances. I was captivated by them the entire time. Pity the final thirty minutes was a bit of a let down. Review for Super 8 will be posted soon.

This week's top chatter is after the jump...

A bunch of Aussie critics have been covering the SFF but what Sarah Award and Richard Gray have managed to achieve in the early days of the Festival is nothing short of amazing. Between them, they covered ten films yesterday. Ten. Check out their coverage at The Reel Bits.

There have been a number of great reviews of Super 8 this week. Be sure to check out Univarn's @ A Life in Equinox, Mad Hatter's @ The Dark of the Matinee (His first **** film of the year), Sam Fragoso's @ Duke and the Movies and Anders Wotzke's video review @ Cut Print Review.

Univarn also chooses Five Films that Teach Us What it Means to live

Hatter also gave Tree of Life the **** rating. I am seeing this tomorrow, and cannot wait. 

Another film I am looking forward to is Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. Sam's review of the film @ Duke and the Movies is worth reading.

CS @ Big Thoughts from A Small Mind pays tribute to Friendship on the Big Screen.

Bonjour Tristesse reviews Diabolique by Henri-Georges Clouzot, the next director I will focus a blog-a-thon on.

Alex @ Film Forager reviews Incendies, still the best film I have seen at the cinema this year.

Flixchatter produces a list of examples of Bickering between Filmmakers and Actors on Movie Sets.

Jack L @ Jack L. Film Reviews Compares: The Thing from Another World (1951) and The Thing (1982)

John @ John Likes Movies is hosting a Criterion Collection Blog-a-thon.

Kid in the Front Row provides his 10 Tips for Directing Comedy.

Luke @ Journalistic Skepticism has been working through his Early Oscar Predictions

Finally, Episode two of Hatter and and Simon Columb's The Film Locker is available to listen. This week they focus on Woody Allen. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. But, I promise, I will soon. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link Andy!

    I though you were going to talk about the "Midnight In Paris" review.

    Hope you're enjoying the films!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, it is greatly appreciated.

    I'm sad to hear that Sleeping Beauty was disappointing, that's one I've been looking forward to seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Triple linkage? Dude...pass the ball around. (But thank-you)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sam - No worries buddy. I did link to 'Midnight in Paris' review. I am very much looking forward to it.

    @ Bonjour Tristesse - It was disappointing, but still possesses some great qualities. I guess underwhelming amidst the other films I have been watching at the festival.

    @ Hatter - What can I say, you do great work! Just as you have given your first two **** of the year, I have decided to give out ***** to Project Nim and A Separation. What an amazing back-to-back today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the linkage, Andy! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ CS - My pleasure. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete